Civil FAQs

What is a Civil Action?
An action brought to enforce, redress, or protect a private or civil right; a non-criminal litigation (Black's Law Dictionary).

Do I need an attorney to file a Civil Action?
In Small Claims Court, (Justice of the Peace) forms are supplied and you can represent yourself. In County and District Courts, you can file a civil suit without an attorney as long as you can properly represent yourself in court in front of the judge and are aware of the proper paperwork to be filed in the case.

What are the Jurisdictional Limits?
Justice of the Peace Court (Small Claims) Up to $10,000.00
County Court $500.00 to $100,000.00
District Court $50,000.00 and above

What is a Plaintiff?
A person who brings an action; the party who complains or sues in a civil action
(Black's Law Dictionary).

What is a Defendant?
The person defending or denying; the party against whom relief or recovery is sought in an action or suit (Black's Law Dictionary).

If I have a rent issue, which court should I contact?
You need to file with the Justice of the Peace Court. There are two Justice of the Peace Courts in Titus County, Justice of the Peace Pct 1 at 903.577.6760 -- Justice of the Peace Pct 2 at 903.577.6756. You will need to determine the Justice of the Peace Court by the address of the rent property. If a party is not happy with the judgment rendered in Justice of the Peace Court, then it may be appealed to the County Court.

I need to find my divorce case. Where can I find my divorce case?
Divorces are heard by the District Courts and are filed with the District Clerk.

I want to legally change my name. Where do I file?
Name change application is filed with the District Clerk and is heard by the District Court.

For any other questions, please contact us.


Get Acrobat
Titus County Clerks Office
100 West First Street, Suite 204 - Mt. Pleasant, Texas 75455
Phone: (903)577-6796 - Fax: (903)572-5078
Business Hours: 8:00am - 4:45pm Monday-Friday
(*open through lunch)